Thursday, April 1, 2010

[the little things]

I think it's human nature to be constantly in search of the secret to happiness. There's a movie about the pursuit. There are books and volumes of "how tos". There are other blogs, other ideas, other approaches.

But I've never believed that happiness arrives at your doorstep one day asking to come in. Instead, it's a daily choice to remember that this life is a beautiful thing. It's all the small moments, simple miracles and daily blessings. And it's savoring the little things that make you laugh, make you cry, make you wonder, make you smile, make you think and make you dream.

Like learning how to strategically ride a bike without brakes. My advice from numerous attempts the past four days - avoid serious downhills and weave from side to side like skiing if you get going too fast...ditching the sidewalk to ride on the grass helps a lot too.

Or digging out my counselor DVD from camp three summers ago the other day and reflecting on all of the great memories, jokes, people, games, fun times and lessons learned.

It's having a seven-year old sing "Jesus Loves Me" out of the blue and then give you homework. She insisted I take "Five Little Monkeys Jumping On A Bed" home to read for our tutoring session next week.

It's listening to a new friend's story and being reminded once again that this life is not about me and all of my noble intentions.

It's watching the pink-orange sun wake up the world on the drive to Des Moines for practicum on Tuesday.

It's getting my support letters for a summer mission trip printed for free.

It's walking home barefoot on an 80-degree April day. Partly because of blisters on my toes from my sandels that have not been worn in much too long. Partly because I finally can, and partly because I love the feel of my bare feet on the grass.

It's the gorgeous weather, warm breeze and beautiful sunshine.

It's laughing as you watch college students play four-square in your parking lot with legit chalk lines.

It's sitting outside on a warm night enjoying a glass of wonderful Italian Moscato with my roommates and realizing some of them don't have too many college days left.

It's getting strict instructions not to feed hamburger to my new venus fly trap.

It's making and eating supper with all but one sibling Tuesday night.

It's finding a new artist who seems to know exactly what I need to hear in every song - thank you John Waller.

It's falling into old traps only to be drawn right back to God the next morning through the Word.

It's finding another wonderful quote - "No matter how widely you have traveled, you haven't seen the world if you have failed to look into the human hearts that inhabit it." [donald c. peattie]

And it's knowing that Easter is on it's way in all of its glory and promise of the life to come. Because that's where joy is found. I think happiness and contentment are often dependent on circumstances, but joy is eternal and it's not found in only the high points of life. It's a kind of peace that pervades all circumstances and is only found in the Lord who makes this life beautiful and the next one possible. Not to us Lord, not to us, but to you (Psalm 115:1)

No comments:

Post a Comment