Sunday, January 8, 2012

[keeping first things first]

This post is from my dad. He truthfully hasn't ever really used a computer. His version of email is sitting down with one of us kids or my mom and telling us what to type.

And I don't think he'll actually ever make time to learn because good old fashioned pen and paper still do the trick in keeping farm records and keeping up with people. I like that about him. No one writes hand-written notes anymore. But whether it's some Eden-township humor or a word of sincere encouragement, everything from him is personally written, stamped (sometimes obnoxiously) and delivered via UPS.

Here's a passage from one of his often-quoted and used books, though, that I like and wanted to pass on. It's by John Gile in "Keeping First Things First":

"Many people have much higher callings than they realize
but live on much lower levels than they should.

Our perceptions determine our attitudes,
and our attitudes increase or diminish the joy we experience and give to others.

Men and women in every walk of life seek fulfillment.
But fulfillment isn't something we get from our work.
It is something we bring to it.

Fulfillment isn't found in what we do,
but in why we do it."

I like the last sentence best. Good stuff I do say.

No comments:

Post a Comment