Friday, June 17, 2011

[to know is to obey]

"Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?" [Jesus]

Less than 24 hours ago there were three English classes for next week that didn't have a teacher. I'm supposed to be taking off for Maryland early tomorrow morning for my brother's wedding, but it stresses me out to leave before things here are covered while I'm gone.

So I prayed for three teachers. Sounds trivial I know, but I was walking my cool-down blocks after my run this morning and figured the least I could do was ask God to provide.

Six hours later I have three teachers. Asked four people. Got three "ok's". And many times in situations like this I'd thank God afterwards but not think to ask Him before. When I can see clearly how a problem needs to be fixed - call people and ask - I take God out of the equation and rely on myself instead.

But no problem's too small for prayer. No detail too insignificant. Nothing too ridiculous. For some reason God cares, and for some reason He answers, and I don't know about you, but I could put Jesus' commands into practice a wee bit more often. "Don't worry." Straight up. End of story. 'nuff said.

"But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of it's own." Again attributed to Jesus.

And as Joanna Weaver once pointed out, "To know Him is to hear His words and lovingly obey Him, or we know Him not at all."

No comments:

Post a Comment