Saturday, March 27, 2010

[by faith]

Sometimes in this race of life we're not sure where we're heading. I mean, we have big ideas and want to do noble things, but we don't have all the answers to life's big questions. We don't know what's around the next curve. We can't see super far ahead, and that's frustrating, confusing, hard.

But I think that's also what faith is about. Trusting in the future despite not understanding it. Planning on the faithfulness of God rather than ourselves, and realizing that we don't have to have the answers or the details worked out. The past few months I've asked God for a lot of answers to big questions, and some have been answered. I know where I'm supposed to be this summer. I know that I have peace about the future after college. But I'm not so sure on some other things, and I'm constantly learning contentment, trust and faith in all of my frustration and questioning.

There's something about music that always seems to hit me when I doubt what I know to be true too. It has this way of describing my thoughts and giving me comfort when so many other things don't, and I've had the song "Faith is Living" by John Waller on repeat the past couple of days. It seems to describe both the person I think I am and the person I want to become. It's where I'd like to think I'm at and also where I'd like to be someday. Living by faith is never going to be something I will be able to check off my to-do list and say "done!" but I think that's also the beauty of it - a constant, life-long process. A neverending area of growth in my relationship with God. A continuous part of every mile in between.

So here are the lyrics to the song. You can probably find it on YouTube if you want to listen to the song itself:


"Faith is Living" by John Waller

I wish I could see just three steps in front of me
But the lamp unto my feet, it only moves when I take a step
And believe Your Word to me, Lord You have a history
That proves You're worthy of my faith

It's the evidence of things I cannot see
And faith. . .it's the confidence that You are holding me
It's the stepping out, it's breaking through
All my doubts and all I thought I knew
'Cause you've never lived until you've lived
You've never lived until you've lived. . .by faith

I want to be a man like Abraham
He went to a foreign land 'cause You said go
He trusted You by faith
Of a tiny mustard seed to mountains we can speak
Believe and move them by faith

No comments:

Post a Comment